The Michigan Foreclosure Prevention Corps is an AmeriCorps program with a mission of building the capacity of certified, nonprofit foreclosure counseling agencies to serve homeowners in the state of Michigan.
The Michigan Foreclosure Prevention Corps has 20 AmeriCorps members serving communities across the state. Members fill a critical gap in services at state and federally certified housing counseling agencies working with homeowners who are on the verge of or in foreclosure.
The members’ service is focused on foreclosure prevention and intervention activities including: foreclosure intake and triage, marketing and outreach, education, implementation of the 90-day pre-foreclosure negotiation law and tracking/mitigating neighborhood impacts of foreclosure. Each member is responsible for recruiting and managing volunteers, participating actively in building the capacity of the host agency and for ensuring that each client they interact with has a better understanding of the foreclosure process.
Success Stories & Data
The Michigan Foreclosure Prevention Corps(MFPC) has completed its third program year, providing much needed services to Michigan communities.
During the 2012-2013 program year…
- AmeriCorps members served 10,627 homeowners through intake and triage. An additional 13,153 individuals were reached through community outreach, mailings and presentations.
- The members provided nearly 30,000 hours of service to their host agencies.
- This year, members serve at 16 housing counseling agencies across Michigan.
“A homeowner facing foreclosure can be one of the most challenging individuals to encounter. The changing face of foreclosure is now including individuals who have never faced financial difficulties in their adult lives. Learning to not only help but empower without judgment was one of the greatest challenges. This ended up being one of the greatest assets that I gained.” – Kate Lambert Lee, Community Action Agency of Jackson, Lenawee and Hillsdale Counties, MFPC alum
2013-2014 Host Sites
- Center for Financial Health, Lansing (2 members)
- Circle of Love Community Development Corporation, Saginaw
- City of Grand Haven, Grand Haven
- Community Action Agency of Jackson, Lenawee and Hillsdale Counties, Jackson (2 members)
- Community Housing Network, Troy and Wayne (2 members)
- Elder Law of Michigan, Lansing
- Housing Opportunities Made Equal, St. Ignace
- Home Repair Services, Grand Rapids
- Inner City Christian Federation, Grand Rapids
- Kalamazoo Neighborhood Housing Services, Kalamazoo
- Michigan State University Extension- Ionia County, Ionia
- Michigan State University Extension- Macomb County, Clinton Township
- Northwest Michigan Community Action Agency, Traverse City and Cadillac (2 members)
- Northern Homes Community Development Corporation, Boyne City
- Oakland Livingston Human Services Agency, Pontiac
- Wayne Metro Community Action Agency, Wyandotte