The Michigan Foreclosure Prevention Corps (MFPC) is an AmeriCorps program originally focused on building the capacity of housing counseling agencies by providing foreclosure prevention services and resources to at-risk homeowners. The MFPC has adapted its mission for the 2015-2016 program year to focus on financial empowerment as a result of the improved foreclosure climate. This newly structured program is called the Michigan Financial Opportunity Corps (MFOC) and will continue to develop its members both personally and professionally by encouraging civic engagement during their commitment and beyond.
Learn more about the Michigan Financial Opportunity Corps here.
Success Stories & Data
The Michigan Foreclosure Prevention Corps (MFPC) has completed its sixth program year, providing much needed services to Michigan communities.
During the 2014-2015 program year…
- AmeriCorps members provided 4,587 at-risk homeowners with intake services. An additional 14,984 individuals were reached through community outreach, mailings and presentations.
- The members provided more than 30,000 hours of service to their host agencies.
- This year, members serve at 20 non-profits across Michigan.
“A homeowner facing foreclosure can be one of the most challenging individuals to encounter. The changing face of foreclosure is now including individuals who have never faced financial difficulties in their adult lives. Learning to not only help but empower without judgment was one of the greatest challenges. This ended up being one of the greatest assets that I gained.” – Kate Lambert Lee, Community Action Agency of Jackson, Lenawee and Hillsdale Counties, MFPC alum
Past Host Sites
- Accounting Aid Society- Detroit
- City of Grand Haven- Grand Haven
- Community Action Agency- Jackson
- Community Housing Network (2)- Troy and Oakland County Treasurer’s office in Pontiac
- Capital Area Housing Partnership/Franklin Street- Lansing
- Goodwill Industries of West Michigan- Muskegon
- H.O.M.E. of Mackinac County- St. Ignace
- Home Repair Services- Grand Rapids
- Inner City Christian Federation- Grand Rapids
- Metro Community Development- Flint
- Northeast Michigan Community Service Agency- Alpena
- Northern Homes Community Development Corporation- Boyne City
- Northwest Michigan Community Action Agency- Traverse City
- Southwest Economic Solutions- Detroit
- United Way Montcalm-Ionia Counties- Fenwick
- United Way of Saginaw County- Saginaw
- United Way of Washtenaw County- Ann Arbor
- Wayne Metropolitan Community Action Agency (2)- Detroit and Westland